We must make kids want to read before we can make them read what we want. Jacquelyn McTaggart. Graphic Novels, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Teaching Visual Literacy. Nancy Frey and Douglas Fisher, Editors.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Graphic Novels In Grades 1-5

In the last year I have been experimenting with graphic novels in my library. I come to this with little or no background in comics so I had no idea where to begin or where this would lead. However, I discovered many kids are mad about the graphic novel/comic book format. Students who were not very interested in reading were so excited about the format and the new reading material that if I had allowed it some would have fought for some books. A far cry from the year before when I had to enforce the "get a least one book rule" for the reluctant reader. Often the reluctant reader is a boy but some are girls. If introduced to the right book girls will go for graphic novels also. Publishers are beginning to come out with graphic novels books that meet girls needs.

This blog is an attempt to get all the information I have gathered in one place for me and anyone else who is interested. There are many sites with information but many of the sites are not for elementary students. I am hoping that next year I will have monies in my budget to purchase more of the these books for students. I never seem to have enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment